WAN (Wide Area Network)
WAN, wide area network It is a term meaning. local area network Compared to (LAN), it covers a larger area. WAN allows computers in one location to communicate with computers in another location.
To put it simply, a WAN is a collection of other networks, such as a LAN, that communicate with each other. People and companies differ according to their needs. WAN types They can create. Since WAN is a network of networks, the internet is considered the largest WAN.
What does WAN mean?
In many respects, WAN and LAN have the same operating principle. TCP/IP protocol is used and support is received from devices such as modems. How WAN works To understand this, you first need to know how LAN works. In the case of LAN, a single house or building is valid.
WAN treats networks designated as LANs as nodes and creates a cluster from them. It is generally viewed as an overarching umbrella term as it can serve as the umbrella for this cluster. In other words, WAN provides functionality to network systems located at geographically different points.
What are the WAN advantages?
It is very advantageous with the opportunities it offers in various areas such as WAN connection, data sharing and resource sharing. Even if the cost is reduced, the initial cost of installation may be high. In addition, created WAN networks require constant control and maintenance.
- It covers a wide area: WAN covers a wide geographical area. Even if you are in different cities or countries, it is possible to connect via WAN. Internet service providers may provide you with leased lines to create a WAN.
- Resource sharing provides: Thanks to WAN, software and similar resources can be shared with other users. For example, in web hosting services offered by various companies, it is possible to share certain server resources to more than one system.
- Centralizes data: Requirements of the organization such as e-mail, file and backup servers can be handled with centralized facilities. Offices can share data entirely through the server. Facilities such as backup and support are offered from the headquarters.
- Offers high bandwidth: You can go beyond standard bandwidth when you have leased cables offered by the internet service provider. You can increase your organization’s profits because you will have higher bandwidth.
What are the types of WANs?
WAN is considered in two different categories, and the scope of these two categories is quite broad. first kind Switched WANif the second point-to-point WAN It is called. In addition, there are five WAN types developed based on WAN technology.
1. Switched WAN
There are LAN networks with multiple components within the Switched WAN structure, and they connect with a shared network infrastructure. Switched WAN determines how network resources in different locations are distributed between locations.
Switched WAN network is used to connect multiple end nodes through a common WAN network. Its structure is much different depending on the point-to-point WAN type. Because there are two end nodes connected by a point-to-point WAN type line.
2. Point-to-point WAN
In a point-to-point WAN environment, two LANs are connected via a separate and secure line. Old-style broadband networks using dial-up technology are the ideal example in this regard. The way they work is different depending on Switched WAN technology.
Corporate companies use point-to-point WAN to provide reliable network performance between two locations. Network performance is slightly higher in this WAN type. When you want to create a local area network, two LANs (nodes) must be connected separately to more than one device.
3. Other types of WANs
Without WAN, companies and other organizations would probably have to provide services limited to geographic areas. LAN only makes it possible to work in a certain area and creating infrastructure is a little more costly. Thanks to various WAN types, these obstacles have been overcome.
- DIA WAN: DIA is a special type of internet connection. It is not possible to share the link with anyone else. With DIA, a dedicated bandwidth is offered and there is no speed change. It is a solution completely specific to a specific location and company.
- Broadband WAN: It is also known as broadband internet WAN. Download speed is usually higher than upload speed. It is much more economical than the DIA solution, but it has certain disadvantages in terms of performance.
- VoLTE WAN: This type of WAN created over LTE aims to establish connections in remote locations. The connection is provided via 4G, 4.5G or 5G technology. In this solution, there are generally quotas and quota exceedances are charged separately.
In addition to these three WAN types, there is another type called MPLS WAN, but it is an old technology. The main goal is to expand the existing LAN environment by providing line support. There is also another type called SD WAN, which allows taking advantage of multiple WAN connections.