Breaking the Rules: Unconventional Wedding Dress Styles to Consider
When it comes to weddings, tradition often rules the day. However, not all brides want to adhere to conventional wedding dress styles. In recent years, unconventional wedding dresses have been growing in popularity, with more and more brides opting for unique and non-traditional styles. In this article, we’ll explore some of the unconventional wedding dress styles to consider for your big day.
Table of Contents
- The Appeal of Unconventional Wedding Dresses
- Unconventional Styles to Consider
- Bohemian Wedding Dresses
- Colored Wedding Dresses
- Jumpsuits and Pantsuits
- Vintage Wedding Dresses
- Two-Piece Wedding Dresses
- Short Wedding Dresses
- High-Low Wedding Dresses
- Bridal Separates
- Non-Dress Wedding Attire
- How to Choose the Right Unconventional Wedding Dress
- Where to Find Unconventional Wedding Dresses
- Final Thoughts
The Appeal of Unconventional Wedding Dresses
Traditional wedding dresses are often white, long, and flowy, with intricate lace and beading. However, not all brides want to adhere to this style. Unconventional wedding dresses offer a unique and personalized touch to a bride’s special day. They can reflect the bride’s personality and individuality, and make for stunning photos that stand out from the typical wedding photos.
Additionally, unconventional wedding dresses can often be more comfortable and practical than traditional styles. Jumpsuits and pantsuits, for example, are perfect for brides who want to dance the night away without worrying about a long train getting in the way. Short wedding dresses are also great for outdoor weddings or beach weddings where a long dress may be impractical.
Unconventional Styles to Consider
There are many unconventional wedding dress styles to consider, each with its own unique flair. Here are some of the most popular styles:
Bohemian Wedding Dresses
Bohemian wedding dresses are perfect for brides who want a relaxed and natural look. These dresses are often made from flowy fabrics like chiffon or lace, and may feature floral embroidery or other bohemian details. They’re perfect for outdoor weddings or weddings with a more casual vibe.
Colored Wedding Dresses
White may be the traditional color for wedding dresses, but that doesn’t mean you have to stick to it. Colored wedding dresses can add a unique and unexpected touch to your wedding day. Pastel shades like blush or lavender are popular choices, as are bolder colors like red or black.
Jumpsuits and Pantsuits
For brides who want a more modern and practical look, jumpsuits and pantsuits are a great choice. They’re comfortable, easy to move in, and perfect for brides who want to dance the night away without worrying about a long dress getting in the way. They can also be dressed up with accessories to create a more formal look.
Vintage Wedding Dresses
Vintage wedding dresses have a timeless elegance that never goes out of style. They can be found in a variety of styles, from 1920s flapper dresses to 1950s tea-length dresses. Vintage dresses are perfect for brides who want a unique and one-of-a-kind dress that has a story to tell.
Two-Piece Wedding Dresses
Two-piece wedding dresses are a great option for brides who want a more modern and customizable look. They often feature a crop top or blouse paired with a skirt or pants, and can be mixed and matched to create a unique look. They’re perfect for brides who want to show off their midriff or who want to switch up their look throughout the day.
Short Wedding Dresses
Short wedding dresses are a popular choice for brides who want a more casual and fun look. They’re perfect for outdoor weddings or beach weddings, where a long dress may be impractical. Short dresses can range from mini dresses to knee-length or tea-length dresses, and can be dressed up with accessories to create a more formal look.
High-Low Wedding Dresses
High-low wedding dresses are a stylish and modern take on traditional wedding dresses. These dresses feature a high hemline in the front that gradually slopes down to a longer hemline in the back. They’re perfect for brides who want to show off their legs while still having a longer dress for a more formal feel.
Bridal separates are another option for brides who want a more customizable look. These outfits feature a separate top and bottom that can be mixed and matched to create a unique look. They’re perfect for brides who want to create a unique look that reflects their personal style.
Non-Dress Wedding Attire
For brides who want to truly break the rules, non-dress wedding attire is an option to consider. This could include a jumpsuit, pantsuit, or even a skirt paired with a blouse or sweater. These outfits can be dressed up with accessories to create a more formal look, or kept casual for a more laid-back vibe.
How to Choose the Right Unconventional Wedding Dress
Choosing the right unconventional wedding dress can be a daunting task, especially if you’re used to more traditional styles. Here are some tips to help you choose the right dress:
- Consider your personal style: Your wedding day should reflect your personal style and taste. Think about what types of clothes you feel most comfortable in and what styles make you feel confident.
- Think about the venue: The venue can play a big role in determining the right dress. A beach wedding may call for a more casual and relaxed look, while a formal ballroom may require a more traditional gown.
- Consider the season: The season can also impact your dress choice. A long-sleeved dress may be more appropriate for a winter wedding, while a lightweight and breezy dress may be better for a summer wedding.
- Don’t be afraid to try something new: Breaking the rules means stepping outside of your comfort zone. Don’t be afraid to try on dresses that you wouldn’t normally consider – you may be surprised at what you like!
Where to Find Unconventional Wedding Dresses
Unconventional wedding dresses can be found at a variety of retailers and designers. Some popular options include:
- BHLDN: BHLDN offers a wide range of unconventional wedding dresses, from bohemian styles to vintage-inspired gowns.
- Reformation: Reformation offers a variety of sustainable and eco-friendly wedding dresses, including short dresses and two-piece sets.
- Etsy: Etsy is a great place to find unique and one-of-a-kind wedding dresses from independent designers.
- Bridal boutiques: Many bridal boutiques carry unconventional wedding dresses alongside more traditional styles.
Breaking the rules and opting for an unconventional wedding dress can add a unique and personalized touch to your special day. From bohemian dresses to jumpsuits and pantsuits, there are plenty of options to choose from. Just remember to choose a dress that reflects your personal style and makes you feel confident and comfortable.
- Is it appropriate to wear a non-white wedding dress?
Yes! While white is the traditional color for wedding dresses, there’s no rule that says you have to stick to it. Colored wedding dresses and non-dress wedding attire can be a great option for brides who want to break from tradition.
- Are unconventional wedding dresses more affordable than traditional dresses?
Not necessarily. Unconventional wedding dresses can
You must be logged in to post a comment.