Kali Linux, It is a Linux distribution specifically configured for cybersecurity. It involves a lot of customization to perform penetration testing. It is an open source operating system that is generally used to detect and understand security vulnerabilities.
Kali Linux is based on the Debian Linux distribution. Recommended for almost anyone interested in cybersecurity. Its biggest advantage is that it allows easy disabling of network services. In this way, it can be used successfully in many security measures, including penetration testing.
What is Kali Linux?
Kali Linux is an operating system primarily aimed at information security. It is a Debian-based Linux distribution and comes pre-installed with all the tools needed. It is developed by a highly reputable information security company called Offensive Security.
- Kali Linux comes with different penetration testing tools. The most well-known are Wireshark, Crunch, Aircrack-ng and Nmap.
- Kali Linux has multi-language support. In this way, it offers users the opportunity to use the operating system in their local language.
- Access to the core codes of the Kali Linux operating system is restricted. Core codes can only be accessed by those involved in the development of the operating system.
- Kali Linux is a free operating system. You do not need to pay a fee to benefit from the operating system’s features.
- Kali Linux can be used on a wide range of ARM devices. Repository resources for ARM are integrated into the main version. Updates for ARM devices are rolled out without a hitch.
Kali Linux always manages to be popular due to the opportunities it offers to information security experts. It is an operating system that anyone interested in ethical hacking will cross paths with. Having cross-platform support increases its usability.
How to install Kali Linux?
As mentioned, you can even use an ARM-based device to use Kali Linux. If you want to install Kali Linux, you can use all the methods used when installing other operating systems. These methods include virtualization solutions.
- USB Usage: You can transfer Kali Linux operating system to USB. You can use a USB memory with a minimum of 8 GB for this. You have the chance to turn the USB memory into the operating system itself. However, doing this requires additional configurations.
- Hard Disk Usage: It is the most known method to install Kali Linux operating system. You can choose SSD or HDD to install. When Kali Linux is installed on a disk, it may cause permanent edits to be made on the disk.
- Virtualization Method: Kali Linux can be installed on a virtual machine. The hardware requirements for this are different. You can create a separate space for Kali Linux by installing a virtualization program on the Windows operating system.
- Dual Boot Method: If you do not want the Kali Linux operating system to eliminate the data of the current operating system, you can use the dual boot method. This way, you can have both Windows and Kali Linux operating systems installed at the same time.
What are the most important tools that come with Kali Linux?
One of the most important aspects of Kali Linux is that it comes with tools that can support ethical hacking. Even though the tools it supports are many, the ones that are generally used and the important ones are clear. Once you start using Kali Linux, you need to take advantage of these tools.
- Aircrack-ng: Aircrack-ng is a tool directly related to WiFi network security. It has features such as packet monitoring, managing attacks and performing various tests on drivers. In this tool, you need to do all the operations via the command line.
- THC Hydra: THC Hydra allows you to launch attacks against many different protocols. There are many different protocols you can place on the target, including FTP, HTTP, and HTTPs. You can log in to wireless networks using this tool.
- Nmap: Nmap is used for network identification and security audits. It provides access to host information on the network using IP packets. The information it accesses includes sensitive information such as the operating system, packet filters, and firewalls.
- WireShark: WireShark is a packet analysis tool. It allows you to see all the activities of a network in minute detail. Thanks to this very popular tool, you can create custom reports and benefit from different alerts.
Kali Linux is an operating system with many different advantages. It is among the indispensable items in the field of information security. Since it is specially structured on many subjects, including penetration tests, training is carried out through it.